*American Sign Language (ASL) interpretation video available at bottom of page.
Connecticut Coalition Against Domestic Violence (CCADV) is the state’s leading voice for victims of domestic violence and those agencies that serve them.
We are a membership organization of Connecticut’s 18 domestic violence service agencies that provide critical support to victims including counseling, support groups, emergency shelter, court advocacy, safety planning, and lethality assessment, among other services.
Founded in 1978, CCADV works closely with our membership to understand and respond to the on-going needs of domestic violence victims and their families. We seek to support our membership through capacity building, technical assistance and a comprehensive training program.
CCADV also works to change social conditions through policy, advocacy, public awareness and community education. We advocate at a national and state level to create and implement strategic policies that will improve Connecticut’s response to domestic violence. Some of the key changes we’ve facilitated in recent years to domestic violence laws and policies in our state include:
- Securing funds for 24-hour staffing at all of Connecticut domestic violence shelters
- Strengthening civil restraining orders and criminal protective orders to ensure gun forfeiture by offenders, as well as extending the length of civil restraining orders
- Enhancing the definitions of strangulation, threatening and stalking to achieve greater protection for victims
- Implementing a statewide Model Law Enforcement Policy on Family Violence as the standard by which all law enforcement in our state respond to domestic violence
- Increasing housing protections for victims by allowing early lease termination when they’re in danger
By collaborating closely with a number of key community, government and business leaders, CCADV works to ensure a systematic and comprehensive approach to victim services and offender accountability. Some of our recent initiatives include:
- CT Domestic Violence Fatality Review Committee
- Statewide Primary Prevention Plan
- Lethality Assessment Program (LAP)
- Trauma-Informed Enhancement Project
- Offender Re-Entry & Victim Safety Initiative
This video provides the webpage information in American Sign Language (ASL). Click to play. While playing, scroll over the video and click on the icon in the lower right corner to expand to the video to your full screen.
Headquartered in Wethersfield, CT, CCADV is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with a combined base of federal, state and private funding. We are funded in part by the CT Department of Social Services; CT Office of Policy & Management; CT Judicial Branch, Office of Victim Services; U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, Administration for Children & Families; U.S. Department of Justice, Office on Violence Against Women. We also receive generous support from several for-profit organizations and philanthropic foundations, including the Verizon Foundation, which provided support for the development of this website.