Leave this site

For your Safety.

Click "Leave This Site Now" and you will be directed to google.com. An abuser can monitor your computer use. CCADV recommends viewing this website at a library or friends house if you are concerned about being watched on your computer.

Click here for more info on internet safety.

Find Us Online:

Legal Options

*American Sign Language (ASL) interpretation video available at bottom of page.

If you have been hit or threatened, the laws of the State of Connecticut can give you special protection and services. Sometimes these laws are called domestic violence or family violence laws. These laws and services can help you even if you and the person who hurt you are going to stay together. Try to get as much information as you can about all your options before you make decisions about your relationship.

You can do the following to get some relief through the criminal and civil justice systems:

  • Call the police
  • Ask the court for an order of protection, which will mandate the person who abused you to stop. The order can also remove the abuser from the home for safety reasons.
  • Ask the court to make orders that will help you protect your children.
  • Talk to a Family Violence Victim Advocate (FVVA) for information about the law, the court, and other options you may have. FVVA’s are staff members of local domestic violence programs who work at the state’s criminal courts and are available to help you.

If you think your partner will not obey the law or any restraining or protective order the court has issued, you may want to call your local domestic violence agency (link to provider page) to identify other ways to help keep you safe.

Remember, anyone can be a victim of domestic violence regardless of age, gender, economic status, race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or education. Connecticut’s laws and legal options apply equally to all victims of domestic violence. The law also applies to all victims regardless of their immigration status.

Have a question? You can connect to a certified domestic violence advocate at Safe Connect by visiting CTSafeConnect.org or by texting/calling (888) 774-2900.

Other Resources


You can also visit CTLawHelp.org, a project of the CT Network for Legal Aid. CTLawHelp.org has several self-help guides available to assist victims with legal issues such as:

  • Court fee waivers
  • Completing court forms
  • Family Violence Leave (leave from work due to family violence)
  • What to do when the other parent doesn’t obey a court order for child custody

Statewide Legal Assistance:

If you are in need of legal representation and have very low income, you may qualify for one of Connecticut’s legal aid programs. To find out more, call:

Statewide Legal Services of Connecticut toll-free hotline: (800) 453-3320*

*legal services hotline call-in hours are Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday from 9:00am – 3:00pm and Wednesdays from 1:00pm – 3:00pm; from Middletown and Hartford call 860-344-0380

CT Judicial District Courts:

Visit Connecticut’s Judicial Branch Court & Staff Directory for each Judicial District to find court personnel contact information, as well as directions to each court location.

For additional resources, please visit the Resource Library.

This video provides the webpage information in American Sign Language (ASL). Click to play. While playing, scroll over the video and click on the icon in the lower right corner to expand to the video to your full screen.

CT Safe Connect Logo

If you need help or just someone to talk to, please visit CTSafeConnect.org or call or text (888) 774-2900. Advocates available 24/7.

Si necesitas información o si solo quieres conversar con alguien, por favor visite CTSafeConnect.org o llamada or texto (888) 774-2900. Los consejeros estará disponible las 24 horas del día, los siete días de la semana.